Battery Recycling Plant
Battery Recycling Plant: Europe’s most contemporary Lead-acid Battery Recycling Unit
SUNLIGHT Recycling is the Lead-acid Battery Recycling Branch of SUNLIGHT S.A., operating the most contemporary Lead-acid Battery Recycling Unit in Europe, certified by the EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS).
In addition, the Recycling plant is certified for applying management systems for Environment (ISO 14001:2004), Quality (ISO 9001:2008) and Occupational Health and Safety (BS OHSAS 18001:2007).
The Recycling plant, is built in a plot area of 4.2 hectare in the Industrial Area of Komotini (Prefecture of Rodopi). All facility operations comply fully with the Greek and European legislation, guaranteeing the highest quality, safety and environmental standards. SUNLIGHT Recycling is able to recycle 25,000 tons of spent batteries per year, and produce 16,500 tons of highly pure lead and lead alloys. SUNLIGHT Recycling incorporated the first holistic approach for the recycling of lead-acid batteries in Greece, as it covers the full recycling cycle. That is, the collection of spent (used) batteries, their recycling based on international quality standards, and the use of recycled materials for the production of new batteries in Greece by SUNLIGHT.
SUNLIGHT promotes the circular economy, by creating multiple financial and environmental benefits at local and national level.
For the construction and the implementation, SUNLIGHT Recycling, formed a strategic collaboration with Engitec, a global leader in engineering, procurement, construction and operation of lead-acid batteries recycling plants. This collaboration ensured unrivalled quality in the design of the plant, the construction of the equipment, and the recovered materials. The production process of the plant has been shaped using cutting-edge technology, ensuring top environmental performances. More specifically:
- Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) in the environment, by utilizing water closed-loop systems
- Zero discharge of electrolyte (acid) ,by the neutralization process of acid and its conversion into high-quality industrial salt (sodium sulphate)
- Zero Air Pollution, by applying an advanced and specially designed air pollution control and abatement system that minimizes SO2 (sulphur dioxide) emissions
- Minimization (<5%) of solid hazardous waste (slag) by accomplishing high degree separation of battery components and chemicals
- Elimination of lead emissions, while achieving ultimate metal recovery, through the use of advanced air filtration systems that guarantee the ultimate capture of dust
- Solid waste minimization, by the use of desulphurization innovative technology